Each year the Conference of Southern Graduate Schools sponsors two Master’s thesis awards and an
ETD Master’s Thesis Award.
The fields for competition for 2013 are:
Math, Physical Sciences and Engineering (1 award) (includes Physics, Chemistry (excluding Biochemistry), Astronomy, Atmospheric Sciences, Geology, Earth Sciences, Oceanography, Metallurgy, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Sciences, and Engineering)
Humanities and Fine Arts (1 award) (includes History, Classics, Comparative Literature, Linguistics, Speech, American Studies, Archeology, Art, Music, Philosophy, Theology, Religion, Theater, Language, Literature, and Architecture)
ETD Master’s Thesis Award (1 award for the innovative application of technology to scholarship in a master’s thesis)
Candidacy Graduate Deans or their designee(s) at CSGS member institutions may nominate one person whose thesis has been accepted in partial fulfillment of master’s degree requirements during the past two academic years and/or summer sessions (Fall 2010 through Summer 2012).
Award $1,000 plus travel expenses for the awardees to attend the 2013 CSGS meeting in Greenville, South Carolina where the award will be presented.
Deadline The Graduate Dean or designee shall provide the following materials as part of the nomination dossier to be received no later than October 8, 2012:
- A web link to a thesis or an electronic copy submitted by e-mail or CD; (for the ETD Thesis competition a web link to an electronic thesis is required);
- Letters of endorsement from the major professor and either the Director of Graduate Studies, the Graduate Dean, or the Dean’s designee;
- Certification by the Graduate Dean or designee that the thesis was approved in partial fulfillment of requirements for the master’s degree within the past two academic years and/or summer sessions (Fall 2010 through Summer 2012);
- An abstract of the thesis (1-2 pages, double-spaced), prepared by the nominee; and,
- A brief resume or CV on the nominee (1-2 pages).
Nominations should be submitted to the Committee Chair no later than October 8, 2012:
For more information, please contact:
Thomas Reynolds, Dean
The Graduate School
University of North Carolina Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223-0001
Phone: 704 687-7248